× Please submit new Bug Reports on GitHub: github.com/Jensen-Technologies/component-creator-issues/issues

How easily can this replace Fabrik?

1 year 3 months ago #10029 by Dries Moors
How easily can this replace Fabrik? was created by Dries Moors
Hi,

New to all this. It looks pretty intimidating, but so far, I'm hanging on!

I'm currently investigating how this could be used to replace my Fabrik tables and forms. I'm especially keen on knowing how I can create dynamic forms, using fields that are used to populate/update other fields on the spot. Are there some tutorials about this? And how easy is it to enable/configure/limit front-end table editing?

I'm using Fabrik's Cascading DropDown element quite a lot, and am thinking of purchasing a 1-month premium access, just to figure out how to port all this. I'm assuming I need premium access to be able to replicate this behavior, am I correct?

Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #10036 by Alan Smith
Replied by Alan Smith on topic How easily can this replace Fabrik?
I'm in the same boat - lots of Fabrik apps with CDDs.
I am hoping to build a plugin based on:
github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/tree/master/plu...nt/cascadingdropdown
You need javascript to update the second field on the fly based on the join to the first field.
SEBLOD has a plugin that will do this (commercial) but the J4 version is not ready for prime time.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Alan Smith.

1 year 2 months ago #10037 by Dries Moors
Replied by Dries Moors on topic How easily can this replace Fabrik?
Seblod is indeed lagging a bit in development. This tool seems to work pretty well, as it has very good support to display a form with a field coupled to table field. There is no built-in support for a CDD-like feature, which is very unfortunate, as I now don't know how to tackle that one.

1 year 2 months ago #10038 by Alan Smith
Here is the SEBLOD plugin:
www.seblod.com/store/extensions/2997
Says it supports J4 - I have not tested it.
You can also check out these generic CDD examples:
www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/php_drop_down-download.php

The Fabrik plugin .js function is more complex since the Fabrik CDD field can be a select list, dropdown, auto-complete etc.

1 year 2 months ago #10039 by Søren Beck Jensen
Replied by Søren Beck Jensen on topic How easily can this replace Fabrik?
Component Creator was never meant to build 100% of a component, but to take away the repetitive and boring parts of development. Having said that... many users do use it to develop 100% components, and without knowing Fabrik in depth, it will replace many of the features. For instance, showing a field depending on what was selected in the first one, is a core of our features. Simply use the "Show depending on" feature of a Foreign Key field or an SQL field.

Søren Beck Jensen
Founder, Component-Creator.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noxidsoft - Noel Dixon

1 year 2 months ago #10040 by Alan Smith
That is right - Component Creator is a fantastic tool that exponentially streamlines the component build process, but many advanced component features (e.g. integration with user registration or leveraging custom fields) falls on each developer, Having said that, it is hard (impossible?) to find a true cascading/dynamic dropdown form field outside of the Fabrik plugin, which sets up an AJAX update of a select list based on a previous field. Fabrik also has a rich array of field dependency options: you show, hide, change layout etc of one field based on the value/range of another AND on selector events (onload, focus, input, submit etc.). In a nutshell, Fabrik is an application builder with many presentation-layer/AJAX features. At this point, there is no plan to migrate to J4 - which could be good for Component Creator!

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds